Friday, December 31, 2004

Momento

Well, seeing as it's the end of an old year and the beginning of a new, I thought I'd post a little momento to all the blogs we've loved before. To all the blogs that have come and gone, perhaps leaving in their wake a little hope for the world.

In no particular order...

The Other side - Joshua Kucera. Became famous after he stopped blogging, when his editors pulled the blog plug (ya, ya, way back in 2003 but hey, am just reviewing here).
g.in Baghdad - THE g.
G. in Baghdad FotoBlog - G's photo's
Ishtar Talking - Ishtar talked a little
Some of what - a soldier thought a little
Iraq 2.0 - Omar blogged daily, for a day or two.
Just Another Soldier - Jason violated operational security (and returned later - momentarily anyway, getting the old "forbidden page" on his second site right now).
Dear Raed - Salam. All around charismatic icon of inspirational inspiration. Iconically.
Enzo Baldini - Rest in Peace Enzo. You gave your life to blogging, where the rest of us give lip-service.
Askari Street - she met us around the corner...
Live from Baghdad - it was Khaki coloured, it was live, it was from Baghdad. It was Ayad, serving purpose, for a time.

And just to finish off, a few lyrics from Lesley Gore. Who summed things up for women 40 years ago and sums things up with sublime subversity for bloggers, right here, as dawn breaks on another new year. (Hope you know the tune, it's all in the tune... )

You don't own me
I'm not just one of your many toys
You don't own me
Don't say I can't go with other boys

Don't tell me what to do
Don't tell me what to say
An' please, when I go out with you
Don't put me on display

You don't own me
Don't try to change me in anyway
You don't own me
Don't tie me down 'cause I'll never stay

I don't tell you what to say
I don't tell you what to do
So just let me be myself
That's all I ask of you

I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life the way I want
To say and do whatever I please...

1 Comments

#1/01/2005 12:26:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Anonymous Anonymous

The Iraqi Bloggers-- especially those in the Baghdad area, I believe-- are having serious electricity problems, so they may not be blogging a lot right now. As I write this, I understand, Doura is on fire. It's the oil fuel source for the Doura electricity plant which is the main plant supplying Baghdad with electricity. It was sabotage. A grenade or something set it on fire.

--button

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Site
Meter