Thursday, December 02, 2004

Bias ?

Words From Iraq. Another, what would you call it, "resource blog" I guess. This one is sort of an auto-blog with a kind of RSS auto-bot poster that publishes stuff (links and excerpts) from a selection of Iraq blogs. There is a kind of forum provision and the author, being an automated author, provides very little in the way of personal bias. It's a great idea, but personally this solution to neutrality feels a bit "cold" to me. I almost wish there was a bit of spark to it, even if it were a spark that really irked me. Here's from the "about the site"

WordsFromIraq.com is maintained by SilenceIsDefeat.org; Chris Brunner and Alex Stram, in an effort to provide first hand information to the general public about the Iraqi conflict. By doing so, we hope to eliminate the trend for public opinion to be based on biased, bureaucratic media sources, and instead a more accurate, independent perspective.


Lol, I have to laugh. Not sure which exactly "biased, bureaucratic media sources" or "independent" ones they are talking about but I have to do my personal bit of myth-dispelling here. "Independent" media sources, in this case blogs, place very few of the traditional ethical constraints upon themselves that mainstream journalists are bound by. Because bloggers "blog for ourselves" and do just post "whatever we damn well feel like" they are perhaps the most (laughing) biased media source I have ever read in my entire life. (That's not going to stop me from reading them though).

2 Comments

#12/02/2004 09:18:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger Papa Ray

Greetings ..!

I am not a ro"bot", and just happened by with a link to an interesting development.

http://www.blogsofwar.com/

Now this is not going to make a real difference one way or the other in my opinion but is interesting in that it will give a real boost and help in the attitude of the new "Iraq Military".

This is my post

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

 
#12/07/2004 02:27:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger emigre

Good point Diogenes - and a great relief I am sure to bloggers bearing the brunt of so many, erm, eager commenters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Site
Meter