Thursday, October 28, 2004

Evolution, Religion, Colonialism, Magic, and Superstition

I think it's mildly interesting that in a matter of a couple hours I made errors concerning both Evolution and Religion. Once on Emigre's blog having to do with this absolutely insane and perhaps ground-breaking find in Indonesia of the "Hobbits" (Floresiensis). Another here concerning my curiousity about Laylet il Qadir. I was existing in a world of Hobbits and Christian calenders in my sleepless mind. Pardon me.

I also believe ihath posting about Ghosts is a coincidence. I was just thinking & writing about ghosts and spirits (Also, with Halloween coming up it's especially cogent). So, I would like to ask, 1) who believes in which of the following: evolution, religion, magic, and superstition. 2) Are evolution and religion mutually exclusive? 3) And what does colonialism have to do with the four?

I find that in my family many believe in all four of these things, which is completely bogus if you were to adhere to logic. But is it? The tradition of supersition is extremely strong in the Arab world. And what, pray-tell, is magic? Shamans and voodoo? Well, duh, of course. Michael Taussig wrote a brilliant book that threads the needle through these topics. Shamans, Colonialism, and the Wild Man: A Study in Terror and Healing. Please check it out.

In the meantime, what do you believe in? I believe in Hobbits now. And I believe in a higher being. So, I'm probably agnostic as opposed to being an atheist. And because superstition is contagious, in certain circumstances it slips into my mind. I believe in all four, then. Perhaps this is personal. But I'd appreciate anybody's feedback regarding these subjects.

Trying to learn from my mistakes and conjure up more dialogue here. Please drop your opinion and answers in the comments. Thank you!

liminal

6 Comments

#10/29/2004 05:04:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger ihath

My mother is catholic and my dad is shea'a so that makes me sunni....ha ha ha just kidding.

 
#10/29/2004 10:22:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger liminal

You're funny ihath! heeeeeeheeee lolol

I C my post is a hit! ! Too much, too much! Anyway, i'll be holed up going media-crazy over the next 4-5 days.

huah-hahaha!!

i'll be back.
lim

 
#10/29/2004 01:41:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger smokey spice

"1) who believes in which of the following: evolution, religion, magic, and superstition. 2) Are evolution and religion mutually exclusive? 3) And what does colonialism have to do with the four?"

i believe in all four as well. evolution seems to be as close to fact as possible; the rest are a matter of faith or belief...and, as much as i wish i didn't, i do believe that there are things we cannot fully grasp.

i was raised a muslim (still am, though not very religious). there's an element of superstition in believing in the jin, isn't there? can i get around that? no. i just do (believe). but i don't think that it's a bad thing to believe in a spiritual or supra-natural entity.

that's my take.

 
#10/29/2004 03:54:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger emigre

Common thread linking evolution, religion, magic, superstition, colonialism, history and politics? Weeeell, that would have to be storytelling. Which I guess is why blogs are so popular.

 
#10/30/2004 10:37:00 am Assalam Aleikom Anonymous Anonymous

Colonialism - So, so very sorry. Crazy people should not be allowed to run countries.(imho)

Evolution, Religion, Magic, and Superstition - This post is about the "hobbits", and I think it probably falls under each of these categories... a quote I'd like to share:

"It is not difficult to imagine the peculiar excitement and joy that one would feel, if any specially beautiful fairy-story were found to be 'primarily' true, its narrative to be history, without thereby necessarily losing the mythical or allegorical significance that it had possessed. It is not difficult, for one is not called upon to try and conceive anything of a quality unknown. The joy would have exactly the same quality, if not the same degree, as the joy which the 'turn' in a fairy-story gives: such joy has the very taste of primary truth. (Otherwise its name would not be joy.) It looks forward (or backward: the direction in this regard is unimportant) to the Great Eucatastrophe. The Christian joy, the Gloria, is of the same kind; but it is preeminently (infinitely, if our capacity were not finite) high and joyous. But this story is supreme; and it is true. Art has been verified. God is the Lord, of angels, and of men—and of elves. Legend and History have met and fused." - J.R.R. Tolkien

http://larsen-family.us/~1066/onfairystories.html

It just seems appropriate to me.
(Call me superstitious)
:}

 
#10/30/2004 10:48:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger liminal

THANK YOU ANOn.
wicked quote.
lim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Site
Meter