Thursday, June 03, 2004

OT Special Feature; Afghanistan Blogs

P C & E of Afghanistan Weblog a new blog by Shaitaangul, who begins;

Let's get this weblog going on the right foot…

One of my pet peeves in regards to all debates concerning Afghanistan has been the injection of ethnic agendas on pretty much every major topic of discourse. It isn't so much that ethnic politics have been empirically shown to be quite destructive that bothers me. It's the fact that the very notion of ethnicity in Afghanistan is very nebulous and fluid, like all other aspects of politics in the country. I actually have a very extreme view on the subject, as I feel the notion of ethnic identity does not have much meaning within the country itself, and certainly there are no clear borders or lines of demarcation separating groups from one another...


Afghan Voice the thoughts of a young Afghan, Arash, blogging regularly since Jan 2003.

And Brendan's Blog a traveler in Afghanistan who has been logging his travels since March 2004.

2 Comments

#6/04/2004 01:39:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger Fayrouz

Being an Australian (I really I'm an Australian more than an Iraqi), I have the problem with labeling myself in America. Many people label me as a conservative just because I supported the removal of Saddam's regime and being from Texas. But, when I say I'm a pro-choice when it comes to women's abortion rights, or when I say the Catholic bishops should not involve themselves in politics (I'm a Catholic, my cousin was a bishop and my dad's uncle was a priest, so I know what I'm talking about) then I'm labeled a liberal. I'm not any of the two. I'm somewhere in the middle. So, I was thinking if I was an American, I would probably vote for a third party.

In Australia, I always voted for the Labor party-- I'm an immigrant, they worked well with immigrants. Now, I'm planning on voting for ALP (John Howard's party). Australia's economy is recovering faster than the American economy. There are more openings for information technology jobs in Sydney this year, which tripled since 2001 recession. They're offering more visas to asylum seekers. More reasons to vote for Howard.

 
#6/04/2004 05:02:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger emigre

hi Fyrouz, i know u said i could delete this as u posted it on another thread, but i'm leaving it, i think it's relevant to Shaitaangul's quote too.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Site
Meter