Wednesday, June 22, 2005

NEW ! More ! Another Blog !

أنا أسترالي

New: 1
Total: 135

Now please someone explain to me why people apologise for blogging in Arabic - I've seen it right across the board. From the Co-alition sympathiser to the no-war aesthete. "Dear .... I am sorry, this blog is in Arabic". Que?

I mean, isn't apologising something someone does after spilling coffee over someone else's keyboard, or treading on someone's toes, or while wringing hands in the defendants box for crimes against humanity? Isn't it something human resources contorts itself with during redundacy payout meetings: "I am sorry, we did it for your/our own good"? Isn't "sorry" something an autocracy says when it finally comes to terms with it's predecessors burdens, it's stolen generations, it's incarcerations and stripping bare the globe of all diversities - isn't it something a logger says after a slow and late dawning as he wakens in the silence following the cut-off shriek of his chain blade to find the last tree at his feet. A gesture in futility. "I am sorry, I cannot help". A word that heals so little when uttered in vain and means so much when spoken with honesty.

Isn't it, the hardest word?

Why then do people apologise just because a blogger chooses a different text. Like half the english speaking world even understands blogs written in "english". Why apologise for another reader's shortfalling? Besides, a determined monolinguist will probably just go find a translation tool.

God I go on don't I. Sorry.

5 Comments

#6/22/2005 05:34:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger Fayrouz

Emigre',

I said so because I don't know if you can read Arabic. That's all. It has nothing to do with what language people write.

I would've wrote the same comment if I found a blog written in Chaldean because I'm difinite not many people read or speak Chaldean.

 
#6/23/2005 04:23:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger Fayrouz

richsanter,

Sometimes it's much easier to express yourself in your native language.

As for the new Iraqi-Australian blogger, he mostly writes about his daily life and the Iraqi community in Melbourne, Australia. So, he's probably directing his thoughts to his friends and family who are more comfortable with the Arabic language.

 
#6/23/2005 09:00:00 am Assalam Aleikom Blogger emigre

Fayrouz

I know, and I must apologise for asking rhetorical questions.

I suppose what I am saying in a roundabout way is that I am puzzled by how exceedingly polite some bloggers are over small things and how exasperatingly rude others are over larger things.

Is another language something to be sorry for - or exalted by?

 
#6/23/2005 06:08:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger Fayrouz

Emigre',

I know and it's the fullmoon. So, communication channels are bad these days :-)

 
#6/25/2005 08:16:00 pm Assalam Aleikom Blogger Edrees

Edrees said...

I did read your blog, and i liked it very much, for your plain talk, and wish to stay in touch,

I know Hindu astrology, and studied it for 9 years, if you know your date date-month-year, place city-country and time xxxx hours ,of your birth ,,send me.

you can read my blog at http://edrees.blogspot.com/ and my own page at

http://geocities.com/edreeslove/ where i have some poems at

http://geocities.com/edreeslove/ep.html .

My email address is edrees.w@gmail.com and my yahoo groups is

friendsofedrees@yahoogroups

waiting to hear from you, and discuss more things...

Edrees

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Site
Meter